Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol Review

Synopsis:
Firstborns rule society. Secondborns are the property of the government. Thirdborns are not tolerated. Long live the Fates Republic.

On Transition Day, the second child in every family is taken by the government and forced into servitude. Roselle St. Sismode’s eighteenth birthday arrives with harsh realizations: she’s to become a soldier for the Fate of Swords military arm of the Republic during the bloodiest rebellion in history, and her elite firstborn mother is happy to see her go.

Televised since her early childhood, Roselle’s privileged upbringing has earned her the resentment of her secondborn peers. Now her decision to spare an enemy on the battlefield marks her as a traitor to the state.

But Roselle finds an ally—and more—in fellow secondborn conscript Hawthorne Trugrave. As the consequences of her actions ripple throughout the Fates Republic, can Roselle create a destiny of her own? Or will her Fate override everything she fights for—even love?


Review:
I actually don't remember where I got this book. I was bored and scrolling through my kindle TBR pile while I waited for some kind of appointment to finish up and there it was. And the cover looked intriguing so I said sure why not.

And then I fell in love with the book from the first chapter. The cover may have attracted my attention but the writing  held it.

So lets get started.

This had a definite 'Divergent' feel to me. It was like watching Tris walk into Dauntless all over again. Only this time it is Roselle being placed in a military training facility because she is a second born and not just any second born but one who comes from a family of great importance.

That was one of the things I liked about this book actually. A lot of these books they have the family unit so perfect, the mother loves all her children, all the children are good, ect . But in this book the mother has no emotional connection with Roselle other then fear that she might one day be a usurper  and kill her brother. I liked that her mother was such a mean unlikeable character. It made sense, it even made sense that her father had nothing to do with her and the only father figure she had was her fighting instructor named Dune, who drops a bomb shell as they are leaving, that he is a third born.

So lets fast forward to when Roselle is doing her duty as a second born and going into the military where she will probably be killed due to her families importance and the anger over how second borns are treated, they are stopped by a terrorist attack where a new weapon is exposed that renders their electronic weapons *cough* light saber*cough* useless, including the chips in their hands that say who they are.

And then the love interest enters. Hawthorne....where do I even begin. I know a lot of people like him...but I don't. I don't like that he comes into her life as a lie. I have trust issues... and for me that is a big no no. AND he pretty much drops contact with her once circumstances make him a first born.
I get it, he helped her emotionally through some things...but to all but disappear from her life is a huge emotional trigger for me.

I actually like the rebel she saved. He is who I am rooting for and I don't really have any reason why other then the fact he seems like the most suitable person interested in her.

One of the things I did not like about this book was how it would introduce characters and then they would vanish without any reason. Roselle meets Hawthornes friends and becomes friends with them but all of a sudden it is like there were only two friends instead of 3.

AND she decides to go to someone to create a new weapon that will render the rebels weapon's useless. A hydro blade mix, because something like that can go unnoticed in a military base...no wonder they are being attacked.

Overall I loved this book, I am eagerly awaiting the second in the series and I think the action and intrigue makes up for any plot holes.


Rating:
4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment