Monday, August 21, 2017

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Title: Six of Crows
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Authors Page:HERE

Synopsis:
Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:

Break into the notorious Ice Court
(a military stronghold that has never been breached)

Retrieve a hostage
(who could unleash magical havoc on the world)

Survive long enough to collect his reward
(and spend it)
Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first.



Review:
This has been a book that has been popping up on my news feed multiple times. Everyone was raving about it and I was skeptical about it. The synopsis didn't sound like something I would be interested in so I just rolled my eyes and shuffled to another book and another cover. However I could not pass it up when it went on sale on Amazon.
That was another thing that made me nervous about this book, the last time I bought a book that was on sale on Amazon it was absolutely horrible.
So, warily I swiped to the first page and began my descent into the dark underworld of Ketterdam.

Normally I am not a fan when the author switches view points every chapter. It tends to be distracting on my part and take away from the story. It usually makes it hard for me to become fully immersed in the tale. This was not the case, I actually enjoyed the different view points since it let me see a full picture of what was going on.

I liked that these kids have been through hell and back and  they don't seem like kids. They seem like hardened adults and that was pulled through the writing.

I liked the love interests that is barely there but enough to get you invested and the sass that the characters have. 
I am a sucker for sass really,
Hahaha :)

I liked that unlike most YA books anymore this did not focus on love interests but rather the job they had been hired to do and the tasks it involved.

This book was exciting and kept me on the edge of my seat.
I think my only complaint was that while reading it on my kindle it said I was only 75% through and then it ended, the other 25% was a sneak peak. Which I didn't even attempt to read because then I just know I would have to get the second book right that very minute.

Rating: 4 Stars!


Notable Quotable:
- "The heart is an arrow. It demands aim to land true." (23%)
-"Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you;ll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And  even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart" (23%)
- " Jesper knocked his head against the hull and cast his eyes heavenward. ' Fine, But if Pekka Rollins kills us all, I am going to get Waylans ghost to teach my ghost how to play the flute just so that I can annoy the hell out of your ghost.'
Brekkers lips quirked, "I'll just hire Matthias' ghost to kick your ghost's ass."
"My ghost won't associate with your ghost..." Matthias said primly, and then wondered if the sea air was rotting his brain. " (35%)
- "It's not natural for someone to be as stupid as he is tall, and yet there you stand." (39%)


No comments:

Post a Comment